Why is my laptop smoking .?

Home » Hardware » Why is my laptop smoking .?
Hardware No Comments

So i plugged in my phone to my lenovo 100s ideapad laptop (a very cheap and crappy laptop) to move some pictures over. After i plugged it in i opened up the my computer icon, went to devices, and clicked on my phone file. Right when i opened up the file to look at the stuff on my phone, my laptop made a crackling

So i plugged in my phone to my lenovo 100s ideapad laptop (a very cheap and crappy laptop) to move some pictures over. After i plugged it in i opened up the my computer icon, went to devices, and clicked on my phone file. Right when i opened up the file to look at the stuff on my phone, my laptop made a crackling sound and shut off. Like no Windows shut down loading screen, the screen just went black, the little lights by the keyboard turned off and my music stopped playing. My laptop was plugged into power too. I unplugged the power cord and plugged it back in trying to turn it on. I unplugged the usb cord from my phone and kept trying to turn it back on. Finally a light came on and then i heard a flame erupt, I immediately unplugged it and picked it up off my bed. A bunch of smoke came out of the usb port and it smells like something is burning still. Its extremely hot and that laptop never overheats. Can someone please tell me whats going on? Thank you!

Other answer:

Wyatt:
Several things it could be, a faulty battery is most likely the problem, usually the battery will heat up quite a lot before it sets on fire so look for heat damage to the plastic around the battery and the contacts, if there is no visible damage then it may be something short circuiting power tracks on one of the boards or the power supply itself.

I would recommend carefully opening the laptop and finding the source of the short circuit, it will most likely be a tiny spec of dirt or fluid and as you said you heard a flame erupt there will be small amounts of carbon and possibly burn marks around the site. You will either have to clean up the damage and find out if the laptop still works, replace the parts or buy a new laptop.

It could also be a burnt out resistor, this happened in my last laptop charger and when I opened it to see if it could be repaired I was surprised to see the resistor had exploded and burnt half of the circuit.

ari:
The lithium battery in some laptops is recalled if yours is one of them file the claim and get a new laptop some cell phones also.

Lithium battery are nasty creatures the contain metal That can burn or actually explode and if your battery is all swelled up either the bios battery or lithium you might have a claim

Bill:
The magic smoke that makes the laptop work has escaped.
Brian Sanders:
Your power supply might be shorting out in it. Might want to get a better one. There's an old cliche. Goes like this ,"You get what you pay for."
chrisjbsc:
It has caught fire and exploded. Time to throw it away… Before it burns your house down.

LEAVE A COMMENT